Life's Journey with Down Syndrome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Life's Journey with Down Syndrome

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

And here comes Daisy...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
STEPH

STEPH

Number of posts : 244
Humor : bad...anything that offends the masses
Registration date : 2010-10-09

And here comes Daisy... Empty
PostSubject: And here comes Daisy...   And here comes Daisy... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 11:17 am

Aaaahhhhh, this is still rough. Let's see, surprise pregnancy. I had pretty much decided that I was 90% sure I was a "1 and done" kinda mommy, but got over the shock and was happy. Even happier when we found out it was another girl...yay, the play room can stay pink!! All blood work and screenings were good. Blood pressure never went above 110/70 and both ultrasounds looked great. Due date was August 28th but we scheduled a repeat c/s for the 23rd so my mom could fly in from CA and be here for the birth. House was all ready. Even the cupboards were scrubbed and organized...total OCD cleaning. The day comes and we're up at 4am and at the hospital by 5. Surgery scheduled for 7:15. I'm nervous, anxious, and beyond excited to meet Daisy, even though she still didn't have a middle name. They get me all prepped, surgery's going well, Daisy's on her way out...with a case of the hiccups, which she had ALL THE TIME when I was pregnant. I hear her crying, but it's all gurgly. They said she had some gunk in her lungs which they said is common in c/s because the fluids aren't squeezed out since they don't go through the birth canal. NICU comes down and I see people whispering...I'm thinking they're just talking about her lungs. They take her to NICU and my hubby goes with her while they close me up. I get wheeled to recovery and they bring Daisy to my room for just a sec so I can get a glimpse of her....I'm all alone and they say, "we're taking her to NICU so we can test her for Trisomy 21." I'm like what is that?? And the Dr. says "Down syndrome" as if I should have already known. I'm in shock, I'm scared, and I was all alone because my hubby was talking to our families. I felt broken.They had her on oxygen in NICU but all the adults in our family were allowed to see her....no kids allowed, period. So Zoey didn't get to meet her sister for 12 days!! Anyhoo, back to me. was in recovery and couldn't see her for THREE hours!! I was a wreck. I finally made them get the okay from the dr. to wheel me down there. Poor girl was BEAT UP. She had been on my pelvis and had the biggest bruise on the left side of her head and a little black eye. And just looking at her I knew she had DS...I didn't need the chromosome results-I knew. I knew and I was heart broken. I knew nothing about DS and how wonderful a child with DS life can be. We are very lucky that her health is perfect. She stayed in NICU so long because her oxygen levels kept dropping when she was in a deep sleep. Took the docs SEVEN days to realize that she was eating too much too close together and couldn't breathe deep enough to get enough oxygen, so they spread out her feeding to 4 hours and she was fine...my little piggy pig I still have sad times....daily, but I'm still post partum here. I had to quit nursing because I felt the need to get on an anti-depressant. I think Daisy having a mentally healthy mommy is more important than her being breastfed. I feel so much better since Laurie from Up With Down DSM turned me on to the forum and I can't wait to meet her this Friday at Gigi's Playhouse. Well, that's our story....feels good to share.
Back to top Go down
ME's mom

ME's mom

Number of posts : 3753
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: And here comes Daisy...   And here comes Daisy... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 2:10 pm

What an absolutely beautiful story. You can already read in your words, the beginning of your healing for you. You are in for the most amazing journey, that you never knew you were supposed to have. I am SO glad it felt good to share. That is what this board is all about!

Love, Di

Edited to add, thanks for sharing your story with us! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hthttp://www.idscforlife.org/
SamKat

Number of posts : 2455
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: And here comes Daisy...   And here comes Daisy... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm sorry the doctors didn't wait until your husband was there before giving you the news. I know it can be a shock since you had no indication during the pregnancy that anything would be different then you would typically expect. It take time but you will see the blessing you actually have been given.

Mary Beth
Back to top Go down
STEPH

STEPH

Number of posts : 244
Humor : bad...anything that offends the masses
Registration date : 2010-10-09

PostSubject: Re: And here comes Daisy...   And here comes Daisy... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks girls. I feel like she was put here to heal and teach me. She looks so deeply into my eyes as if to say, "I see that you've been hurt inside and that you're damaged but that doesn't matter anymore because I'm here to show you what unconditional love for yourself and for another is all about." Like she's saying, "I'm here to make it all better, Mommy." She changed my whole perception of "perfect." I couldn't ask for more.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And here comes Daisy...   And here comes Daisy... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

And here comes Daisy...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Life's Journey with Down Syndrome :: Our members :: Our stories-
Jump to: