Life's Journey with Down Syndrome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Life's Journey with Down Syndrome

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DebbieH

DebbieH

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2010-02-12

First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Empty
PostSubject: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:33 am

This will be our very first time to attend our local Buddy Walk. Last year would have been but Justin was having OHS so we could not go.

I am going to have a table set up representing Reece's Rainbow at the walk. Our walk is Sept. 25th with about 250 people expected to attend, so it's a pretty small event compared to other places.

For those of you who have attended a walk, could you please share with me what to expect and any ideas of how I can make this more of a success for RR?

Back to top Go down
http://the-scenic-route-momto6kids.blogspot.com
DebbieH

DebbieH

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Is anyone setting up a RR table at your local Buddy Walk?
Back to top Go down
Carson's Mom

Number of posts : 6453
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:50 pm

I think you will be successful just being there and answering questions. For many, if you point them to the website that will be all you need to do- the pictures of the children will do the rest. Good luck!!!!!

Kayla
Back to top Go down
DebbieH

DebbieH

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks, Kayla. I think I will take our laptop for sure just in case we have an internet connection.
Back to top Go down
ME's mom

ME's mom

Number of posts : 3753
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 10:34 pm

I am trying to set one up here. I contact Andrea, to see if she would like me to do this. I have not heard back from her. But as soon as she says go, I am in. I will let you know what we get going if we do.

Di
Back to top Go down
http://hthttp://www.idscforlife.org/
shele337

shele337

Number of posts : 3585

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 10:13 am

I did a table last year and will have one set up this year too. I'll be attending 2 Buddy Walks (one with Andrea, so that one is easy..lol).

My advise: People LOVE pictures. Print photos of waiting kids and put them on one those stand up presentation boards or buy some cheap frames and the dollar store to decorate the table with. Print out a simple 8x10 size word document that lists the facts about what happens to children with Ds that are orphans.....use some of the photos from the well published news shows on institutions in Eastern Europe. Use some before and after photos of RR kids. I will send you Xander's if you want. Those make a powerful impact.

Did Andrea send you brochures? Hand those to every person that stops to look at the photos. Have a quick blurb prepared to say about the Angel Tree to everyone that stops and looks at the photos.

Do you have business cards with YOUR contact info on it? If not, buy a pack of business card paper at Wal-Mart and print a basic business card with your info....name, email address, blog and the RR website on it. Sometimes, people will actually look at the website more because they are curious about YOUR family and why you are supporting this cause.....whatever works!

Back to top Go down
DebbieH

DebbieH

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 10:27 am

Andrea is going to send me some stuff but I do not know exactly what yet. I bet it will be great whatever she sends. I'll get the business card paper at Wal-Mart for sure and print out my info on it for sure. I would LOVE Xander's before and after pictures. Great idea!

Would it be okay to have an 'In Memorium' page set up to show that death is REAL to the kids who do not find families? I could print out all the sweet kiddo's who have passed on from the RR site. Would that be 'too much'?
Back to top Go down
DebbieH

DebbieH

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 10:28 am

Shelley, I am new to the Angel Tree project. What should I have prepared to say about that to those stopping by the RR table at the Buddy walk?
Back to top Go down
shele337

shele337

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 2:14 pm

I just tell people that is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the waiting children and an opportunity to see all the waiting children with Down syndrome under the age of 6 on one page. I then tell people that by donating $35 or more to a child's grant fund, they will receive a beautiful Christmas ornament with the child's photo on it.

Another idea with the photos is to print the Angel Tree logo and then surround it with photos of kids that will be on the Angel Tree this year (any of the kids under age 6).
Back to top Go down
DebbieH

DebbieH

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 2:53 pm

What if the people want to go ahead and donate to the Angel Tree project right then and there? Can I take their money and mail the ornament to them? Do they just pick out a child, tell me who they want to sponsor and then donate? Is that how the Angel Tree project works?
Back to top Go down
shele337

shele337

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:45 am

Yes. They can donate on the spot Smile
The easiest way is to have them write a check so that Andrea has all their personal information. If they give you cash, you will need their name and address. Have them also write which child the donation is for (in the memo section of the check or on the paper with their address).
Make sure that they know that ornaments won't be mailed until November!

That's exactly how the Angel Tree works.....people select a child and make a donation. As long as it's at least $35, they get an ornament. If they want more than one, they need to donate $70(and indicate that it's for 2 ornaments....if the donation is for the same child). They can donate $70 and choose 2 different children too.

You can also mention to people that these ornaments make great gifts for teachers, therapists or other meaningful people in their child's life. We have beautiful gift cards that we can send with the ornament, if they indicate that they need one for a gift.

They can give any amount to a child's grant fund...so if they only have $5 or $10 or whatever, that is certainly welcome and just as important of a gift. Just make sure that they know that for the Angel Tree, it has to be at least $35 in order to get an ornament.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!   First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First time at Buddy Walk and Representing RR...HELP!
Page 1 of 1