Life's Journey with Down Syndrome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Life's Journey with Down Syndrome

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela

Go down 
+3
mom2alex
SamKat
rastagalnj
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rastagalnj

rastagalnj

Number of posts : 134
Humor : slightly wicked, a little dry, totally funny
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Empty
PostSubject: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Tatiana is my last child, I actually didn't plan on having another daughter as my last child, my son was getting ready to turn four and I was content with being a mom of 5. My husband decided he wanted a daughter (yes, he was that specific lol! ) so I agreed thinking it wouldn't happen since I was the ripe old age of 44....wrong Razz cause within the month, I was pregnant. My pregnancy was typical for me, lots of all day, all night sickness then by month four it gradually lessens until it is mostly gone. I gained very little weight (which is most unusual for me), and felt ok for the most part. My husband was confident she was a girl, so when it was confirmed by ultrasound, he was only vindicated by his conviction. One day, I received a call from Dr. J who is the other partner in the office that I was a patient at, she was very concerned because my results from my Triple Screen had returned and it suggested the possibility of Down syndrome. While I was a little concerned, I was not overly upset because the same thing happened with my youngest son TJ and he was born without Ds, so after discussing it with my hubby, I told her that we decided not to have amnio due to the high miscarriage rate as well as we would not terminate should anything be found wrong. I did however elect to have a Level II ultrasound and after two scans, I was given a clean bill of health and told I had a healthy baby.

My pregnancy progressed, I was getting excited, preparing for Tatiana's arrival and was looking forward to my last baby shower ever. I was having a scheduled c-section due to previous uterine surgery, I knew exactly when my girl would be born and I was ready. I left for the hospital on the morning of July 14, 2008, running late as usual, arriving an hour later than I should have been there but they quickly prepped me and soon I was walked into the O.R. After a few minutes the surgery was underway and I was nervous but excited to finally meet my daughter, the familiar pulling and tugging started so I knew I was minutes away from giving birth. Soon I felt light, so I knew my daughter had been pulled from my body and was now a citizen of the world, however something was not quite right. It was eerily quiet in the operating room, Tatiana had finally started to cry but the normal hustle and bustle that accompanies birth was not present, I knew something was wrong but no one was saying anything. I looked over to my husband' s face, I could see he was worried but he said everything was ok. Someone presented this tiny bundle me to and although I was groggy, I happily kissed her. The nurse told me that they were taking her to the nursery to be weighed and check over, so I told my husband to go with her and I would wait here (ha ha, of course I would). I began to feel a bit nauseous, so I was given medicine to control the nausea but it also makes you extremely sleepy, so lights out for me.

I awoke a short while later as I was being wheeled into recovery, looking forward to being reunited with my baby, I could see that something was troubling my husband, so I asked him what was wrong and although he didn't use the medical terminology, he explained to me that they thought Tatiana had Down syndrome. I asked him why and he told me some of the reasons why they thought so. We decided that until it was confirmed, we would deal with her as if she did not have it but somehow in my heart I knew it to be so and I made it up in my mind that I would begin to accept their suspicions as fact. Now I just wanted to see my baby, I needed to hold her and let her know that everything was going to be alright. Once I was taken back to my room, Tatiana was brought in to us, after holding her in my arms and kissing her sweet face, I didn't care what any doctor could or would tell me, I was in love, while my heart was heavy because the future and the life that I had planned for her would not be, I promised God that if He gave me the strength to give her the kind of love and care she needed and deserved, I would not let Him down, I would love this child always. She stayed in the hospital a few additional days after me and when she left the hospital to come home, it was confirmed that she indeed did have Down syndrome but for me I accepted it as truth the day she was born. I am often afraid of what the future holds for Tatiana but since I know Who holds Tatiana's future, I am reassured that no matter what may happen, we are never alone. For now, Tatiana is perfectly healthy expect for a smal VSD, she receives DI and OT and is doing extremely well, she is a strong and determined little lady and she is all mine (well ok she's ours)

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rastagalnj.wordpress.com
SamKat

Number of posts : 2455

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 pm

You told your story beautifully. Thank you for Sharing.
You have a very lucky daughter to have you and your husband as her parents.. I'm sure she will bring you much joy into your lives.
Mary Beth
Back to top Go down
mom2alex

mom2alex

Number of posts : 666

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:26 pm

I just loved your story...thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
ellenstumbo

ellenstumbo

Number of posts : 2606

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks for sharing your story! There is such a bond with all of us as we share the time when we heard the diagnosis. Those words that bring us all together here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elliestumbo.blogspot.com
EAS1971

Number of posts : 2116
Humor : lowbrow, juvenile, scattalogical, slapstick ;)
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:40 pm

I love your story, Cathy.

And can I add...one of the things that made me like you instantly was the way you introduced Tatiana to your board where you and I first met. From your very first post, your attitude was so beautiful to me!!! So upbeat, so trusting in God.

Yours is a beautiful story!!!
Back to top Go down
http://kansasds.forummotion.com/
pookeymom

pookeymom

Number of posts : 95

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:32 am

I enjoyed reading your story Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hanzelyclan.blogspot.com
nicksmom

nicksmom

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 4:16 pm

I too, loved your story. I am finding after reading all of these that it seems much easier to cope with "the diagnosis" better when you have that soft, sweet, peachfuzzy head in your arms...sometimes I just wish there were no such thing as prenatal screening. I know everyone doesn't feel the same about this as I do....but that's just me.
In any case,
She is sooooo beautiful!!!! I love you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela   Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introducing...Empress Tatiana Michaela
Page 1 of 1