Life's Journey with Down Syndrome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Life's Journey with Down Syndrome

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Our Adoption Story

Go down 
+5
mom4life
ellenstumbo
bcpta
Braska'sMom
David's Mom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
David's Mom

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:47 pm

My story begins back on July 5, 1982, one of the the most significant days of my life. The day my brother Stephen was born. Stephen has Ds, and is now 26 years old. I remember the day he was born very clearly. My grandfather came into the bedroom and told my sister and I that Mom had the baby, and that it was a boy! It was just after midnight, and I don't think I had ever been so excited in my short life. I was 10 years old at the time. Stephen was in the NICU for a couple of days after he was born (the reason that today I am a RN in the NICU), and my dad talked to Lisa and I about him before we saw him. I think he told us he had Ds, but I do remember him telling us he would learn things more slowly than other kids, etc.. As I look back now, I think he was "counseling" himself more than us. Wink We just wanted to get upstairs and see that beautiful baby!!! Very Happy

Stephen taught me from an early age what was important. I am SO thankful that I grew up with him. The love I felt for him always was what I assumed being a mom felt like. (Poor boy has always had 3 moms Smile ) It was a love that almost made your heart ACHE it was so strong. It is very similar to my love for my own boys today. Anyway, life was beautiful with Stephen. He lit up our entire house with his sweet ways, and had a bigger influence than I ever dreamed possible.

Well, in 2007, after my sister Lisa had already adopted 2 little boys with Ds, she sent me an email about the treatment of orphans with special needs in some Eastern European countries. I guess up until then, I knew that I loved kids with Ds, but just never felt called to adopt a child myself. I was open to it if God placed a child in our laps, but I was not ready to "seek" it. Well, God took care of that when I read that article and saw young men (who were my brother's age) tied in cribs and left to waste away! I looked into the eyes of the little babies too, and knew that this could have been any one of our family's children with Ds if they had been born somewhere else! I was horrified, to say the least. That is when the calling on my heart began. Within 2 weeks we had committed to our little David (or Luka, previously) on Reece's Rainbow Adoption ministry. My husband was on board (eventually Wink ) and we began our adoption process in December of 2007.

Our son Matthew came into our family via a domestic adoption. It really did not "make sense" financially to pursue an international adoption because of the expense, as well as the fact that we had already invested financially toward another domestic adoption, but had not had a placement in 1 1/2 years. God had a different plan, no question.

I fell in love almost instantly with David's photos. I dreamed about him, worked diligently on paperwork, lost hope at times that he would ever get home, etc.. In the end, we traveled to Serbia in June of 2008 and brought home our son! David means "beloved", and that is certainly what he is to us. His middle name is Peter, which is after a very special uncle (Lisa's husband).

If it were not for my brother Stephen, and my sister Lisa....I do not know if I would have arrived at this place to adopt David. I'm SO thankful God brought us here!

The day we celebrated David's birthday while in Serbia adopting him. David had never before left the orphanage!
Our Adoption Story Day4and5Serbia086
This is my brother Stephen with David. 2 handsome men, don't you think?
Our Adoption Story LisasHouse039
Back to top Go down
Braska'sMom

Braska'sMom

Number of posts : 1118
Humor : Lots and lots please!!!
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:40 pm

What an amazing journey, and a great testimony to what wonderful things can happen when we let God do his thing, right?!? Thank you for sharing...and I do love the picture of David and Stephen together. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://braskabear.blogspot.com
bcpta

bcpta

Number of posts : 1405
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:46 pm

What a beautiful story, and those are some handsome guys!!!
Back to top Go down
ellenstumbo

ellenstumbo

Number of posts : 2606

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Beautiful story. It touches my heart in so many ways.
Back to top Go down
http://www.elliestumbo.blogspot.com
mom4life

mom4life

Number of posts : 212

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for sharing, Julie. Even though I've lived the story with you to some extent, it's still exciting and heart warming to read about it. Smile
Back to top Go down
SamKat

Number of posts : 2455

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks for sharing all those handsome men in your life with us. Your son really is a doll.
Mary Beth
Back to top Go down
pookeymom

pookeymom

Number of posts : 95

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 12:07 am

Beautiful Story Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://hanzelyclan.blogspot.com
nicksmom

nicksmom

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Julie, it is both an honor and a blessing to have you on this forum...You and your sister inspire me to reach deeper.
And yes, they are definately handsome boys!
Back to top Go down
EAS1971

Number of posts : 2116
Humor : lowbrow, juvenile, scattalogical, slapstick ;)
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us! It was heart warming and I loved it. And I loved the photos, too. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://kansasds.forummotion.com/
Sponsored content

Our Adoption Story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Our Adoption Story   Our Adoption Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our Adoption Story
Page 1 of 1