Life's Journey with Down Syndrome
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Life's Journey with Down Syndrome

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kokie

Kokie

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin Empty
PostSubject: Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin   Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Here's the two logs I've kept since we started Osiyyah on Longvida Curcumin in May. To realize how huge these changes are, Osiyyah's speech has been his most delayed area. He hasn't made hardly any advances for awhile now. So to suddenly see so many changes and improvements is HUGE.

Log 1 - First 7 weeks:

Quote :
Changes Since Starting Longvida Curcumin

Started: 5-4-09

Week 2 – started 1000mgs/day:

Is putting two words together A LOT! Trying to say numerous two word sentences. “Bunch Hand” when asking for a bunch of pretzels in his hand. There are several other ones also.

Is trying to say many new words. Said “Scissors” the other day and we could totally understand what he wanted.

Signing & trying to cue with me as we sing the songs at church. He was trying to say the words as best as he can also.

Week 2 ½ to 3:

Said “scissors” when the kids were talking about scissors

Said “alfalfa” when Yo (his twin sister) & them were outside dealing with the goats

Says “chicken” when signing chicken

Week 3 ½ to 4:

Said “Abba” (what the kids call Dad) clear as day!

Has been consistently saying “Bunny” and “bye-bye bunny” when we leave my barn at night.

Said “cookie” as best as he could when asked to say it - “ookie”

I really can’t believe how much his speech has jumped. He says new words all the time and tries to copy and say new words whenever he can.

He doesn’t always say them so we can totally understand them, but most of the time you can hear a little bit of the word that he is trying to say.

Says the name of his favorite goat, Willa – “illa.”

Week 5:

Saturday (6-6): When they were getting ready to go out to milk the goats, I asked Osiyyah what they were going to feed the goats. He was standing there, crossed his arms and his leg and said “tink” (think) and then answered with “alfalfa.” So cute!

Said two new words today (Sun.) – Apple & Blue. It’s completely amazing that he is actually saying these words! He has never said Apple or Blue anything close to clear. It’s always just been “ple” for Apple or “b” for Blue.
Said “Apple Treat” and wanted me to give them to the bunnies. Every time he sees the “Apple Treat” bucket, he tells me “Apple Treat.”

Said “Boobies” when Norayah (his brother) was tickling him this morning (Mon).

Thought: I had been wondering about Apraxia with Osiyyah, but since starting the Curcumin and seeing these changes, my feeling that he may have it has really decreased. I’m wondering if this would have anything to do with helping with cognition and such in regards to Apraxia. Because, he has been able to say words he has never said before (and continuing to use them). AND, he has been saying words, well one word in particular, that he said months ago and never said again. He says “Bunny” now, whereas before he rarely said it. If you could make him say it, it was amazing. He had said it about 9 months ago and never really said it again.

Started singing at random times. He says all kinds of sounds & words, closes his eyes and really gets into the singing. He started singing while we were driving home in the car the other day, and there wasn’t even any music on. He’s continued to do it and even did it this morning with
Norayah while he played the guitar. It’s so cute!

Said “Pig” the other day.

At his therapy appointment on Friday (6-12), the therapist, Liz, commented that “he is talking a lot more today.” We hadn’t even told her that we were doing anything different. We told her at the end of the appointment and she was interested in hearing more.

Week 6:

Said “Bubble” this morning (6-15).

Week 7:

He sings every time we have bible study or church throughout most of the songs. He never did this before and every time we’d ask him, he would never do it. This is just so cool!

He seems to understand everything so much better and so well. I rarely have to repeat myself when asking Osiyyah a question, or asking him to do something, or telling him something.

Osiyyah has continued to say all the new words he has learned and hasn’t forgotten one of them Smile.

Log 2 - From 7 weeks on until today:

Quote :
Changes Since Starting Longvida Curcumin Part 2

-Started 1500mgs/day on June 29th – week 8 of Longvida. We have been giving him the full dose at night, as recommended by professor Frautschy.

-Increased dose to 2000mgs/day July 7th – week 9 of Longvida.

Osiyyah has said several new words and phrases. He is also saying the other new words he learned so well and so clear – he just continues to get clearer.

He is saying cookie as “tookie.”

He has said “kitty” – “titty.” It has really helped that I just got two new kittens for my rabbit barn and he thoroughly enjoys seeing them. He has even said “hi kitty” and “bye kitty” when we go in and out of the barn.

He says every goat’s name as best as he can. Several of them you can make out the name of the goat, but a few you cannot.

Can say Riata’s (one of the goats) name very well – at least the first part. “Reeyah” is how he says it. It is SO cute to watch him make that “R” sound!

He said “big pig” for me the other day.

The end of week 7, he said “Tub” for the therapist. That was amazing, as he always has such trouble saying the latter part of the word.

Week 9 –

He said a lot of new words this week! Zebra, Deer, Two, and Boot!

Learned to say “Poo” instead of only knowing how to say “Pee” for whenever he had to go to the bathroom.

Week 10 & 11 –

He is consistently saying 3 and 4 word sentences all the time. A week ago he said “Yophiyyah gave me a bar” and “Riata ate my bar”. Of course it wasn’t as clear as we would speak, but we could completely understand what he was trying to say.

Today (7-28) he yelled to his sister, Ezriyah, and told her that Yophiyyah took her seat at the table. It was so cute! He was saying a sentence!

He told me a sentence the other day clear as anything, but I can’t remember for the life of me what it was he said!

Said the word “Puppy” clear as day. We got a new puppy last week, so that has helped him say that word more.

Week 12 & 13 –

Said two new words yesterday when I did speech with him – Fire & Temple. We were singing together and those two words were in the song and he said them so well.

He has started saying the word “Hi” very clear. He says it all the time when we go out to the bunny barn – “Hi kitty” and “Hi bunny.”

8-7-09 – Said two new words today – “Sock” and “Shoe.” Both are huge improvements, since he normally calls his socks and shoes and feet, “peet.”
Back to top Go down
http://gotdownsyndrome.blogspot.com
EAS1971

Number of posts : 2116
Humor : lowbrow, juvenile, scattalogical, slapstick ;)
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin   Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 9:07 am

That is fascinating!! WTG Osiyyah!!! Is he really pleased with his own progress?
Back to top Go down
http://kansasds.forummotion.com/
Kokie

Kokie

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin   Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin Icon_minitimeSun Aug 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Oh yeah, I think he is Smile. He is always thrilled when we understand what he is communicating. We always make a big deal out of any new word or anything new that he says or does, so he totally likes that!
Back to top Go down
http://gotdownsyndrome.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin   Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changes We've Seen from Longvida Curcumin
Page 1 of 1