Russell Elias Bievenue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
momofrussell

Number of posts : 1738
Humor : Same as Beth's! LOL
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Russell Elias Bievenue   Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Kevin and I were married for over a year when we conceived Russell. I already had Regan so it was my second, Kevin's first. Kevin is an only child so this truly was a wonderful moment, even though Regan was the "first" grandchild for Kevin's parents, this truly was their first, if you know what I mean?

After getting lucky and delivering with a midwife with Regan (docs were busy that day), I decided to actively choose a midwife for this go around. She was the most awesome lady!! When it was time to draw bloodwork in general and do the AFP if you signed for it, I opted out of the AFP test but went to the lab for other bloodwork. When the labwork came back my midwife called me to say my AFP came back positive for DS. I told her I did NOT sign or have an AFP... she tried to tell me I did... I told her no because there was no need, didn't have one with Regan either. So, the lab screwed up (this is what is called divine intervention Wink ). In CA when your AFP comes back positive the state kicks in and pays for the level 2 US so she told me to just go enjoy the level 2 US and she was sure it was wrong, like so many AFP's are. On the way to the US our only talk was if we wanted to know the sex of the baby or not... I did, Kevin didn't.

Well, we weren't but 5 minutes into the US and the perinatologist knew... we have soft markers and he pretty much figured Russell did have DS. Russell had a herniated umbillical cord and his nuchal fold was very noticeable. It was before those nuchal fold scans so if I were to have one that would have been positive too Wink The doctor was very nice and compassionate and offered an amnio if we wanted one. I was crying and Kevin was upset too so the doc said "Oh, do you want to know the sex of your baby?"... at that point the sex was secondary to the news we were hearing... so Kevin and I both said... "yeah, whatever" LOL and he told us it was a boy.

Our doctor told us to take some time and Kevin and I went for a walk to decide if we wanted the amnio. I was more concerned about being out of work and my work not liking that I couldn't come to work the next day more then anything LOL. I called my work to ask them if it would be ok to have the amnio and not come back to work the next day LOL They said yes, of course. Looking back, I find the whole "do you want to know the sex of your baby" and calling my work very amusing... I laugh actually when I think about it...

So, we decided for the amnio. I am a planner and I just needed to know... I figured if it was DS, we'd figure how to deal and move on. I am a firm believer of confronting and closure, so my way of this was the amnio. So, we had it done... and waited.... and waited... and waited... two whole weeks!

On our way home from the doctor that day we did discuss "options"... and I told Kevin since I had already gone down the abortion road after I had Regan, I didn't think I could do it again. We DID talk about it though... I wanted to make clear that I didn't think I could do it again (especially since at 18-20 weeks it's a late term one and I was not going to do that!) and we were on the same page. We talked and agreed that we were married and this is what was given to us and we needed to just move forward with this.

So, while waiting for the results I went to the library and got two books on DS... and read and read and read until I realized "I can do this... WE can do this!".... I'd read it to Kevin and I'd tell him things and each time I'd say "I think we can do this" to Kevin... or "other then the heart, it doesn't sound that bad" LOL We also had very supportive friends and family who actually took it harder then Kevin and I did. Other then that first 24 hour shock with the Level 2, we accepted it and moved forward....our friends and family cried for us I guess, so we consoled them and told them it would be ok!

Two weeks later, the results came back that Russell had DS... and the rest is history! Wink

The med group I went to encouraged me to then start seeing a doctor instead of my midwife but I didn't listen to them that well LOL I appeased them a couple times but all and all, my midwife and I bonded over this and we went through it together. She was the most awesome support in my life, other then my husband, and I needed my midwife to be there with me every step of the way! I also had about 3 more US's to monitor Russell's nuchal fold because they thought it had fluid in it and to monitor the herniated umbillical cord.

My midwife wanted to schedule an induction JUST so she would be sure she'd be deliverying.... it was a Friday, March 20th I was scheduled but to "call first" they said... if they were busy, I'd get kicked off the schedule. Well, I went into labor the night before, on the 19th so by Friday AM, I was in labor pretty good... and that was a GOOD thing...or they would have kicked me off the schedule (divine intervention again!). Russell was born Friday, March 20th around 5:30pm.

Unfortunately Russell sat on my vagal nerve WAY too much in my pregnancy.... so if I sat or laid wrong, I would start to feel like i was going to pass out.... especially if I was on my back. While in labor (active but not hard) my BP dropped REALLY low from the epidural (didn't with the girls but it did with Russell) and our rates were not where the midwife wanted us to be. Then they wanted to put the internal fetal monitor on Russell and from laying on my back I passed out and I woke up to the whole L&D ward in my room with a crash cart and my midwife straddling me and massaging my chest!! affraid She asked me where I was to which I replied "The hospital" (while thinking, dumbass, where the heck to you think I am LOL)... and my husband and friend of mine looking at me like they saw a ghost Sad My midwife then told me if we didn't turn things around I was having a c-section.... I refused.... and our rates turned around and I got my way to have Russell the way I wanted him to enter the world Smile

Russell was in NICU for 2 weeks with low platelets (he was transfered to another hospital) and when they checked him out found out he had cataracts. No heart probs other then the PDA that closed on it's own. I had a hard time truly wanting to get close to him the first two weeks because I was unsure what was going on... I just wanted him home! Hormonally it was hard.... I didn't go through the PPD with the girls but with Russell I did for a few months.... just the added "stuff" and my hormones just made me feel blah at times... but that passed.....and I just enjoyed him like I did my other babies!!!

Ok... I could go on and on and on and we all know I post LONG winded posts so I am stopping now... or I'd be posting his whole 10 years here! LOL

A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EAS1971

Number of posts : 2116
Humor : lowbrow, juvenile, scattalogical, slapstick ;)
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:50 pm

I never read your entire story before! I was laughing out loud at your midwife on top of you and massaging your chest and asking if you knew where you were. LOL. Only you could have me laughing during something like that.

Me thinks Russell and his momma are both a little tiny baby bit stubborn.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kansasds.forummotion.com/
momofrussell

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Trust me when I say it's now commical... but at the time, my poor husband was white as a ghost so it wasn't so funny then LOL I just keep thinking about me thinking inside "WTH?!!" LOL And when I look around the whole floor is in my room...like some event going on.. but the event was ME LOL

A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Emlyn's mom

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:13 pm

yipes that's some story!!! i've had a few moments like that in my life and yep - i can laugh now but at the time - well, not so much!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mooretimes.com
ellenstumbo

Number of posts : 2606

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 am

I LOVED having a midwife with Nichole too!

Loved your story, I had never read the entire thing. You are such an amazing woman A!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.elliestumbo.blogspot.com
momofrussell

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:57 am

I really don't think I've ever posted my entire Russell story anywhere..... just bits and pieces.... Wink

And yes, in my book, Midwifes rock! cheers I was at a different group with Reece so I didn't get one with her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pookeymom

Number of posts : 95

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 am

Amazing story, glad to have read it. Smile Thanks for sharing!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hanzelyclan.blogspot.com
nicksmom

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Thank you for sharing your story with us...I am hoping many new moms who receive the "diagnosis" come here and see your story and see Russell and know that there really is a happy ending! I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Larkinsmom

Number of posts : 67
Humor : dark
Registration date : 2009-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 pm

I love you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.larkinsplace.com
Alicia

Number of posts : 476
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:39 am

how in the world I didnt knew Russell was Elias too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
momofrussell

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Yep.... Russell Elias Smile Great name right?! Smile Truth be told, Russell's middle name is because of the character, Elias, in the movie Platoon, Willem Defoe's character.... my husband and I LOVED that movie and my husband LOOOOVED Elias in that movie.... so, that's why Russell is Russell Elias, because of Platoon LOL Russell is for my great grandfather and Kevin's grandfather.. both Russells....

A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erin's Mom

Number of posts : 4141

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:38 pm

momofrussell wrote:
Yep.... Russell Elias Smile Great name right?! Smile Truth be told, Russell's middle name is because of the character, Elias, in the movie Platoon, Willem Defoe's character.... my husband and I LOVED that movie and my husband LOOOOVED Elias in that movie.... so, that's why Russell is Russell Elias, because of Platoon LOL Russell is for my great grandfather and Kevin's grandfather.. both Russells....

A.

It is a great name, A. Great name for a great guy! And I love how Russell is on both sides of the family! Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://partyofnine9.blogspot.com/
ME's mom

Number of posts : 3753
Humor : Corny
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:37 am

Great story in every way! He is a fighter! No doubt about it! And a charmer too! Great combination!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://hthttp://www.idscforlife.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Russell Elias Bievenue   

Back to top Go down

Russell Elias Bievenue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1